It’s not every day that you get speak to the head of the NHS but after recently writing an article for the News Statesman magazine about the health service after Covid this week I managed to snatch a few minutes with Sir Simon Stevens, Chief Executive of the National Health Service.
Our conversation was wide reaching. My emphasis was raising access to both primary and secondary care; the importance of being open for business – especially messaging to the public and the profession on this; and, importantly, the work GPs are doing right now to support patients. Finally we also talked about harnessing the best of innovation from the pandemic.
Aside from this I have:
- Asked the Health Secretary about next generation Covid testing: https://www.drlukeevans.org.uk/news/next-generation-covid-testing
- Met with Education Minister Baroness Berridge to talk about funding for school buildings.
- Took part in the Health and Social Care Select Committee.
- Took a virtual tour and heard all about Fusion Academy and the new SEND provision they will be offering in Barwell
- Spoke in a debate in the House of Commons about planning reform and house building targets in relation to the Government’s White Paper.
- Had a meeting with Health & Social Care Minister Jo Churchill about the my bill to legislate for warning labels on digitally altered body images.
- Held a virtual meeting with the Royal Town Planning Institute to discuss planning policy and the importance of protecting Hinckley and Bosworth.
- Spoke to the Patchwork Foundation who promote and encourage the positive integration of disadvantaged and minority communities into British democracy and civil society as part of this year’s Conservative Party Conference.
- Visited Forterra Brick in Desford to see how bricks are made and hear about their plans in a post-Covid world.
- Held another constituent’s surgery – please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like a surgery appointment.
- Met virtually with local Conservative Party Members as we held our AGM. Thank you to the outgoing officer team for all that you have done, I very much look forward to working with our new officers.