This week marked a return to Parliament for the start of the 'new term', and it was great to see Parliament moving back to some form of normality after 18 months. In the chamber this week, I raised Twycross Zoo's bid for a National Science and Conservation Centre, which I was delighted to recommend for the Levelling Up Fund back in June. The creation of a new, world-leading centre would be a fantastic boost for the local economy, building on the 600,000 visitors the zoo already receives. You can watch my question to Chancellor here, or find out more about the Zoo's planned centre here.
Other work for Hinckley and Bosworth this week included:
- I was delighted to be able to hold my first surgery 'on location' since the beginning of the pandemic, at Sport in Desford. My aim is to hold surgeries round the entire constituency, to help those unable to travel
- Visited FC Burbage on Saturday to attend their 10th anniversary celebrations - a huge congratulations to them!
- Met other Leicestershire MPs to discuss future funding for Leicestershire and work on a strategy to achieve this
- Questioned the Presidents of the Royal Colleges of A&E, Surgeons & Physicians on the Health and Social Care Select Committee, discussing plans on clearing the backlog caused by the pandemic
- Attended a roundtable briefing on the new Online Harms Legislation with the Minister for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and how the legislation is being proposed to help protect users
- Held a meeting with health Leaders from the CCG, George Eliot, UHL Hospitals, Public Health Leicestershire and the Borough Council to discuss health provision, vaccines, COVID and the backlog
- Watched Hinckley LRFC play Hanley Town FC on Saturday, in the FA cup first qualifying round, drawing 1-1
- Met the NHS Confederation to discuss the Health and Care Bill
- Spoke to the Migraine Trust to find out how I can help with the great work that they do
- Casework this week included: healthcare, driving licences and welfare
If you're in the Bosworth constituency and have an issue or problem I may be able to help with, or if you are a business or charity and you'd me to come down and see the great work you've been doing, please don't hesitate to email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org