This week the Government announced their new local COVID alert system to tackle the long predicted second spike in the virus.
It’s important that we have a system of local COVID alert levels which are designed to be agile enough to change when needed, but proportionate enough to only limit us as much as is absolutely necessary to protect our NHS.
Along with other MPs I received a briefing from Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, the Deputy Chief Medical Officer. It is vital that to tackle this disease we will the requirements that are made of us by the alert level system.
We can all do our bit to defeat this virus once and for all if we remember to WASH our hands regularly, cover our FACE, and give each other two metres SPACE if possible. Remember HANDS,FACE,SPACE – there is nothing more important. If you have symptoms please do get a test.
This week I have also:
- Met with the Zoos Minister and BIAZA to raise further concerns about support for Twycross Zoo.
- Spoke in the Public Health Debate on COVID
- Took part in the Health and Social Care Select Committee quizzing the Care Minister over lessons learned from Covid for the care sector.
- Met with the Chancellor of the Exchequer at Number 11 to make representations on behalf of the events industry, wedding companies, travel businesses and aerospace manufacturing.
- Along with my fellow Leicestershire MPs met with the Local Government Minister to raise the issue of fairer funding for our county, which is amongst the lowest funded in England.
- Held a surgery with a number of local businesses who trade in the events industry.
- Spoke in an important Private Members Bill debate calling for greater regulation on Lip Fillers, an issue in many ways very similar to my own body image campaign. I very much hope this becomes law.