Who is responsible for what?
If you have a complaint or concern, it can be difficult to know who to contact. If you are struggling or have made a complaint and aren’t happy with the outcome, please do let me know and I will look into your concerns.
However, in the first instance I would always advise you to contact the organisation or individual directly as this is usually the quickest and simplest way to resolve any difficulties. Most have a recognised complaints procedure.
If you have done this and remain dissatisfied, please get in touch. However, I can only work on your behalf if you live in the Bosworth constituency, so please do include your address. You can find out if I am your MP here: https://members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP
Please be aware that, while I am happy to make enquiries on behalf of constituents, my role as Bosworth’s Member of Parliament does not give me authority over the County or Borough Councillors. Your elected County and Borough Councillors will have more influence over their decision making than I do as the MP.
Please find my rough guide to who is responsible for what and how to contact them below:
Members of Parliament:
- National Policy Issues
- Raising policy issues with Government and/or in Parliament
- Feeding into the work of Select Committees and All Party Parliamentary Groups
- Following up on complaints where a constituent is unhappy with the organisation’s response
- Making enquiries about cases with Government agencies such as DVLA, DWP, UKVI etc.
- Forwarding complaints to the Parliamentary and health Service Ombudsman
Leicestershire County Council:
- Education and School Admissions (including Special Educational Needs Support)
- Adult and Child Social Care
- Household Recycling Centres (Tips)
- Planning (Mineral Extraction, Schools)
- Assistance with bus services
Find out who your County Councillor is here: https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/councillors-0
Leicestershire County Council Complaints Policy: https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/about-the-council/contact-us/complaints-and-comments
Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council:
- Rubbish Collection
- Council Housing and the Housing Register
- Local Parks within Hinckley Town
- Cemeteries in Hinckley
- Planning Applications & Decisions – including Building Control Enforcement
Find out who your Borough Councillor is here: https://www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/info/200038/councillors
Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council Complaints Policy: https://www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/info/200025/compliments_and_complaints/268/how_to_make_a_complaint_or_compliment
Please check on your local Parish Council website as each works in a slightly different way. Generally, Parish and Town Councils cover:
- Local Parks
- Local Cemeteries
- GPs, in the first instance please use your GP’s complaints policy which will be available on their website.
- George Eliot Hospital: http://www.geh.nhs.uk/patients/feedback-and-complaints/
- University Hospitals Leicester (including Hinckley Hospital) Patient Information and Liaison Service: https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/contact/
- Leicestershire Partnership Trust (Mental health): https://www.leicspart.nhs.uk/contact/
Members of Parliament are not allowed to give legal advice or influence the outcome of legal actions. Please find advice on how to find legal support here: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03207/
The Law Society’s Find A Solicitor Website may be of interest: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/
- Leicestershire Police Professional Standards: https://www.leics.police.uk/fo/feedback/tc/thanks-and-complaints/
- The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Leicestershire: https://www.leics.pcc.police.uk/Contact/Contact-Us.aspx
- The Independent Office for Police Conduct: https://policeconduct.gov.uk/
I do not have authority to overturn parking tickets or influence appeal decisions, this is a legal process:
- In the first instance contact the parking company who issued the ticket.
- If you wish to appeal the parking company’s decision, contact POPLA: https://www.popla.co.uk/
- Find an immigration advisor: https://www.gov.uk/find-an-immigration-adviser
- Please follow the School’s complaints process which should be available on their website.
The Parliamentary and health Service Ombudsman make final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England and UK government departments and other public organisations. You must complete the complaints process of the organisation or department you wish to complain about before I can submit you PHSO application: https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/
The Local government Ombudsman look at individual complaints about councils, all adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) and some other organisations providing local public services. You must complete the complaints process of the organisation or department you wish to complain about before you can submit your LGO complaint: https://www.lgo.org.uk/
This is a snapshot of some of the main organisations I get asked about as your MP. There are, of course, many others. If you would like advice about how to take a concern forward with an organisation which is not listed here, please do get in touch and I can assist you.